08 February 2009

Black Saturday

I don't really like doing serious posts very much. But this kind of warrants one.

First, I should say, we are safe. As some of you may have heard on world news, there has been an absolute disaster here near Melbourne this weekend.  On Saturday, we endured the hottest day ever recorded for our state, at 116 degrees F.  That, along with decades of severe drought, contributed to the worst bush fires in the history of Australia.  All the fires are occurring in various directions about an hour outside of Melbourne and there is a very eerie silence all over the city at the moment, everyone is stunned. Nearly 90 people (at last count) have been burnt alive trying to escape (echos of Pompeii??). Its a holocaust. I can't even begin to describe the destruction and devastation that has been relayed to us via news and radio. The stories are horrific. 

No one quite knows what to do or where to begin.  I'm kind of grateful that I'm not working at the moment (I worked in the state's biggest burns unit) as my hospital has been absolutely swamped with several severe burn victims. Its insanity up there right now, with doctors and nurses coming in just to volunteer to help out.  Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple links to moving articles from our newspaper as well as the New York Times.  Please keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers. 


1 comment:

Heather said...

Amy and Michael...
Stay safe you guys! Thanks for the update, I have been reading the news and it just looks so scary. Please keep us posted.

Thinking of you guys.
Heather